Memorial Table

Since we haven't made any of the really big decisions about our wedding yet (like a reception venue, date or even a budget) we have made some small decisions.

Enter small decision #1: a memorial table. Okay, so it’s not the most upbeat and/or fun wedding planning post, but it’s important to us. FI and I each only have one living grandparent each. It makes me really sad to think about the fact that my grandfather won’t be at my wedding. While I know he and our other grandparents will be there in spirit, I’d still like to find a way to honor them.

And so, we plan on having a small memorial table. I don’t want to create a big cloud of sadness over those that can’t be with us, but I do want to have a way to remember them.

I think we’ll do a small table with framed pictures of our loved ones and a few candles, something like this:

*Photo by M&M07/03/05 at liweddings.com*

We may also do a framed poem to set with the other pictures to make it obvious what the purpose of the table is. The one below seems pretty popular among those who did a memorial table at their weddings.

Though your smile is gone forever,
And your hands we cannot touch,
Still we have so many memories,
Of the ones we loved so much
Your memory is our keepsake,
With which we’ll never part,
God has you in his keeping,
We have you in our hearts
~
Although we cannot see you
We know that you are here
Smiling down, watching over us
As we say “I do”
Forever in our hearts
Forever in our lives
And so we say our vows
In loving memory of you

* Source Unknown*
If anyone knows where this poem came from I would be glad to cite it, but I can’t seem to find a source.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments: