The Long Overdue Engagement Story: The Backstory

You guys are lucky you're hearing this because I don't think I've ever told anyone the entire story truthfully. Now, before you go thinking I'm a compulsive liar or something, I have a few reasons. You'll see.


A year ago yesterday we moved into our new aparment (which is, I guess, no longer new). Things were going amazingly well. The year or so before had been rough. We were rapidly outgrowing our old apartment and had absolutely no personal space to get away from one another. That combined with the fact that my 21st birthday had catapulted me into a massive quarter-life crisis, made for a rocky year.

To go back even further - Sean and I have been together for a number of years and have gone back and forth between us as to who was ready to get married. In our early days, I was ready. He however, said that were weren't in the position to get married then. Fast forward a few years and the situation switched. He had graduated from undergrad and grad school and had settled into a comfortable full-time job. Unfortunately for him, this was right around the same time I hit full crisis mode and no longer thought I was ready. Fortunately for me, he's a patient man.

So in the fall of 2009 we moved into a much nicer, much bigger place and I had officially worked my way though said crisis and was back to being myself. We were more in love than ever and our relationship had really strengthened over the tough year or two that had just passed. We were finally in the same place and finally ready to get married.

At this point, Sean did something that I will always love him for, so I guess it's weird that I never really tell anyone the truth about it. He asked me to show him rings that I liked so he could be sure he got me something that I would love and would be excited to wear for the rest of my life. While I would have loved anything that he picked for me, it was nice to have a little input in the decision. The idea was that I would show him the type of ring I liked and he would make the choice and it would still be a surprise for me.

I then spent far too many hours searching for engagement rings and showing him a million of them that I loved. One day I happened upon the most perfect ring. It was three stones, (a must for me, I have fat fingers. I wanted the width) absolutely gorgeous and priced really well. It was for sale from a jeweler in California that had a brick and morter shop as well as an online store. When I showed it to Sean, I made some really strong suggestions that this was the perfect ring for me but I still wasn't sure he would get it.

I never really tell people that I showed him rings that I liked or that I had any kind of say in what my engagement ring looked like. For some reason, I feel like people think badly of me when they hear that I had a little bit of say in my engagement ring. Like they think I'm really pushy and picked out a big expensive ring and was like "BUY THIS FOR ME RIGHT NOW!" So I just told most people that he picked it out himself. And I'm not really lying because I really just showed him the ring and told him I liked it, he's the one who picked it as the ring to buy. Right? 

Next up: The actual proposal and the ring reveal!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments: