The Guest List

A few weekends ago Sean and I went home to meet with our parents and hammer out a guest list.

I know the guest list is usually a stressful issue for couples, but so far it has gone pretty well for us. From the moment we decided to get married I knew the wedding would be big, and started to prepare for a guest list with around 200 guests. My parents are divorced so on my side of the guest list we have my mom's family, my dad's family, and my step-dad's family. Sean's side of the family is also really big; his dad has 9 brothers and sisters. That's a lot of family! And that's not even including friends!


We also decided early on that we would rather have all of our friends and family there and have to cut costs elsewhere, than to cut out family or friends and have a really lavish wedding. This is one reason we are planning to get married near where are parents live, not where we live or at some awesome beachy destination wedding. I also decided that when we put together our guest list, we would list everyone we would like to invite and then if we needed to scale back because of venue restrictions or something, we would do so after.

The meetings went surprisingly well. There were very few disagreements which I think is mostly because we weren't trying to cut anyone at this point. We came home with a guest list that sits around 170 guests which includes all family and family friends. It doesn't include friends of mine or Sean's. We are at such a transitional place in our lives right now, I know some of our friends will change over the nest 18 months. But I'm sure that we can get our friends in and keep it around 200 still.

So, that was a really boring post, but our enormous guest list will play a big role in the venue that we choose and our catering costs!

Up next, a few venue considerations and a Gimp inspiration board tutorial!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments: